Tuesday 31 January 2023

Lovely lace toddler dress

We recently went to a lovely wedding, the first we've been to since we had our daughter. And she was also invited! Of course that meant I had to make her a beautiful lace dress.

I chose to use the Amsterdam dress from Little Lizard King again, you can see others I've made here and here.


This embroidered lace is so lovely and soft and I had no idea how to work with it! Thankfully this time I was organised so I had plenty of time to play with new fabrics. Even the navy rayon twill I used underneath was new to me. It is also lovely and soft, but slippery and a little stretchy - not something I like to work with.

I got there in the end, the biggest hurdle was stopping the embroidered bits of lace from unravelling. Some I unpicked completely where they weren't connected to the rest. And wherever needed, I stitched two rows over the embroidery in the seam allowance. I had to consider which colour thread I used as well - I used a golden yellow or light blue in the embroidered sections, and for the seams where it was just tulle I used navy so it blended into the navy dress underneath. Everything needs a lot more thought and planning when the seams are visible!

And of course I completely forgot to take a before photo which means you get to see the end result of a toddler wearing a lace dress. Luckily even with the runs in the fabric, and where parts of embroidery are completely unravelling it still looks nice. Hopefully she gets another chance to wear her fancy dress again before she outgrows it!

No comments:

Post a Comment