Thursday 8 June 2023

Elderberry planted

 We've moved the chickens a few times, hopefully the lastest spot is going to stick for awhile, that electric netting is heavy and takes me forever to set up!

This pot of elderberry cuttings have a spot in the ground in the chicken yard, and it is another experimental planting. I was a bit lazy this time as elderberry isn't easy to kill and I have more that I can take cuttings from if it doesn't survive. Because of the slope, I dug a hole a bit bigger than the plant and mixed some clay into compost before planting. Then I made a mini swale by mounding the extra clay around the back to stop the water running straight down the hill. The clay will help store the moisture and give it a chance to soak in, which should really benefit the elderberry as they are rather thirsty plants.

The main reason I wanted to get some in the ground early is so that I can use it to create mulch. It grew so fast at our old house and bounces straight back after a trim. My plan is to coppice this one and repeat every winter. I plan to pollard the mulberry to use as mulch every winter as well, I want to pollard rather than coppice so it will have some nice strong branches for our daughter to climb one day.

It's a multi use tree - mulch, berries and flowers! The chickens will enjoy any berries that fall, and they'll appreciate the shade in summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment