Tuesday 7 April 2020

Chickens!

Things have changed a lot in the last 4 years with our pets. 

After babysitting chooks for my parents for over a month I managed to convince Ray that we needed our very own chickens! It wasn't because he likes chooks, after all he is allergic to birds, but he did notice how much better backyard eggs taste.

I started off by getting sexed week old chicks, one welsummer, one plymouth rock and two barnevelders. The welsummer wasn't a welsummer, the plymouth rock was a boy and the barnevelders died at 1 week and 9 weeks old. 

Since we can't have roosters here I needed to get some more chicks so I found some four week old chicks and ended up with  two wyandottes and a sussex. And then to better my chances at getting girls I got two super cute araucana cross chicks that were 2.5 weeks old. They all ended up being girls!

I rehomed the rooster and three of the girls which left me with Petal the silver laced wyandotte and the araucana crosses Calla and Blossom. 

Blossom is totally my favourite, so much so that I let her hatch some hamburg and marans eggs so we could add to our flock. Last year on New Years Day 7 out of the 8 eggs hatched and we kept Violet the french wheaten maran, and still have two of the gold spangled hamburgs. I haven't settled on names for the hamburgs as I'm still undecided on whether I want to keep them.



Blossom with the hamburg chicks, she is such a good mum and even fought with her sisters if they got too close!

No comments:

Post a Comment