Tuesday 11 August 2020

Kitchen Window Herb Drying

I like to grow calendula flowers which I use to make calendula infused oil for my hand balm - I use the instructions from grow forage cook ferment.

For infused oils they need to be dried first, I do have a dehydrator which is great if I have enough to fill it. So when my plants are just starting to flower I bring them inside and hang them up either until dry or there are enough to fill the dehydrator.

I was originally using one of those portable peg hangers that you can dry all your socks on. Not very attractive, or all that easy to hang in my kitchen!

So I opted for a tension rod across my kitchen window, shower curtain rings and curtain hooks from Ikea.


It is out of the way, looks so much better and if I ever need more room I can add hooks, or even a second tension rod. It also now uses what was technically wasted space and we can still open the window and blind without moving the rod.

Most herbs and flowers hang well from the clips. For collecting seed to dry out I use paper bags. The red mesh onion bag is currently holding sugar snap peas, purple snow peas and beans for seed saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment