Tuesday 26 May 2020

Native Bees

I found out about native bees many years ago and have been a little obsessed with them. We have planted lots more flowering plants and I have planted a small vegetable garden with flowers in between each crop.

Two years ago I started making a dedicated bee garden and we bought our first stingless bee hive from a local man who really knows his stuff! His hives are so well made and they look lovely in our garden.


Tetragonula Hockingsi
Then a few months later we bought our second hive in a huge log, to go in our completed bee garden - next to the chicken coop. (I love my crazy paving using random bricks and pavers)


Left to Right - Tetragonula Hockingsi, Austroplebeia
Then last year I extended the bee garden across where the chickens were so I could make room for yet another hive!


Left to Right - Tetragonula Hockingsi, Tetragonula Carbonaria, Austroplebeia
And then, once the hives are full I can add an empty hive to the front and hopefully end up with a new hive. This is called an eduction, the other way is to split the hive.


The bee garden has also become my orchid garden as they both enjoy shady summers and more sun in winter. I have shade cloth over this area that I remove once the weather cools down.

No comments:

Post a Comment