Friday 19 April 2013

No sew bird tent

My SIL just got a parrot and with winter coming up he needs a snuggly bird tent!

I know my SIL is worried about birds chewing fabric and rope and then getting it stuck in the crop, around their feet, etc. so I decided to make a no sew bird tent to avoid any sewing threads being chewed loose. As well as not sewing this bird tent I used polar fleece as it doesn't fray  - obviously this will still cause problems if the bird ingests bits of fabric so I'm hoping he doesn't enjoy chewing his new bed!





Since I was just figuring this out as I went along, all I can do is explain my process:
  1. Cut a base to 16cm x 11cm in order to support your bird - I used a takeaway container lid, just make sure it is plastic so your bird tent can be washable!
  2. Cut 2 rectangles from your polar fleece that are 22cm x 45cm. (this makes the sides 16cm x 14cm)
  3. Cut your notches 3cm into your fabric and space them 1cm apart. Do this for all four sides
  4. Next you need to secure your base between the inner and outer fleece layers directly in the middle. Snip some holes along each edge of your base and tie the layers together with your fleece strips. My strips were 1cm x 10cm and I used four of them for each side.
  5. Now the fun part begins - start tying the knots all around the outside edges...
  6. Lastly just poke some hanging holes through the tops with paper clips and your new bird tent is ready to hang!
I hope that makes sense for anyone who wants to make their own no sew bird tent!

No comments:

Post a Comment